Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

October 19, 2017, 04:15:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "Okay you big hunk of a man, come and get me!"
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: Jason X On Planet X  (Read 1634 times)
3timesbefore
Camp Cook

« on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »

I got the idea for this while chatting in another thread about how Friday Parts 2 and 3 have what appear to be a bit of Lovecraftian influence. Ginny finding the secret lair of a deep woods beast in Part 2, Chris going insane at the end of Part 3, the depths of the lake holding danger just like in Cthulhu, it even carries over to Part 4 with all the news clippings - false documents holding forbidden knowledge about the area. The town of Crystal Lake with its Crazy Ralph residents resembles Arkham, the lake itself a modern day Miskatonic.

By the time of Jason X, the series had really become a reflection of our bubblegum pop culture, with wise cracks, smart ass remarks and awful CGI galore. That stuff took the place of all the creepy overtones of the original four movies. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun romp, and my brother and I had a great time seeing it in the theater back in 2002. I just prefer the Fridays where they actually attempted to scare the audience and provide the appropriate atmosphere. That said, I think that if Jason X had gone back to 1-4 for inspiration and taken a page from Lovecraft's book, they could have had the ship find Jason on a ruined Earth, then head back home only to crash on another world with clues as to Jason's origins and powers.

Maybe it's straying into what they tried to do with the Highlander movies, but an otherworldly origin for Jason - or at least his family line - could have been a great can of worms to open. It wouldn't have to rewrite history: Jason could still be a human boy who did the whole drowning thing at Crystal Lake, but a part of him, which we can agree is supernatural anyway, comes from somewhere else. They had even set the stage with JGTH. The Necronomicon was in the Voorhees house! The Voorhees house itself, like the town and lake before it, is a stand-in for another Lovecraft story, Dreams in the Witch House. Maybe some secrets lie hidden in its very architecture. Jason's true form was unlike anything found on this earth. The Jason X people could have had their own Mountains of Madness moment, Planet X standing in for the cold wastes of Antartica.

Anyone else think that might have been something worth pursuing?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:26:20 PM by 3timesbefore » Logged
locdasmoke
Counselor

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »

As a fan of the jason films that tried to do something different like jason x for example, i totally like your idea
Rich
Head Counselor

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »

I don't think Jason's powers would come from another planet. I think the better explanation is that they came from the Necronomican, since it was in the house in JGTH.
Jet
Sheriff of Crystal Lake
BANNED
Head Counselor

THIS IS THE JET'S HOUSE, BITCHES!

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:31:27 AM »

Okay, I see where 3times is trying to go with this, and I like it a lot. It gives a lot of room to maneuver and make Jason scary again, which is what needs to happen. While I'm not so sure about the Jason as an alien/human hybrid thing in and of itself we can agree that things are definitely not like normal with Clan Voorhees. I'd see it being something of a combination of the two, but instead of like an extraterrestrial explanation maybe something more extra-dimensional or trans-dimensional. Maybe some ancestor of Jason's came from the dimension we saw in Army of Darkness to our Earth where he could be the only one with the powers he possessed in hopes of becoming a god or something and his bloodline carried the powers of the evil dead, which would explain possibly why Jason keeps coming back and Pamela never did.
Batty Part 2
The Shape
Counselor

I'm Baaaaaaack....

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »

By the time of Jason X, the series had really become a reflection of our bubblegum pop culture, with wise cracks, smart ass remarks and awful CGI galore.

Well, obviously, CGI didn't exist in the early 80's, but your beloved 1-4 were filled with bubblegum pop culture and wisecracks.

That stuff took the place of all the creepy overtones of the original four movies.

1 and 2 had creepy overtones, but 3 and 4 were just as campy and silly as Jason X. At least Jason X didn't have Cheech and Chong rip offs.
Don't get me wrong, it's a fun romp, and my brother and I had a great time seeing it in the theater back in 2002. I just prefer the Fridays where they actually attempted to scare the audience and provide the appropriate atmosphere.

3 and 4 had no atmosphere and Jason X did plenty to scare the audience.

I like 1 and 2 quite a bit, but I don't understand why people put the horrible 3 and 4 on a pedestal. I'm sorry, but if 3 and 4 are good, so is Jason X.
locdasmoke
Counselor

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »

Batty, I would say 1, 2 and 4 are the only movies that actually had tried to be scary. I agree that 3 was not scary at all though... Jason X IMO is a really fun movie because it's totally different and as a sci-fi and a horror fan, it just takes me on a fun ride every time I see it. It's may be most fans most hated, but I really liked it...
Batty Part 2
The Shape
Counselor

I'm Baaaaaaack....

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

See, I don't find 4 scary at all. 1 and 2 were scary, but 3 and 4 were just goofy.
jasonsfury
Camp Cook

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »

See, I don't find 4 scary at all. 1 and 2 were scary, but 3 and 4 were just goofy.

Part 3 is an audience participation film through and through and really was not set up to be a scary picture. I will give you that. But I have to disagree with you when you say that Part 4 was goofy. When you say it is horrible, I mean, that surprises me. If anyone was to sit down and objectively watch Part 2 and The Final Chapter back to back, it is pretty clear that Part 4 is a superior film, and that does include the scare factor.

Outside of the opening of Part 2, for me it's hard to really watch the rest of that film and feel scared.
Batty Part 2
The Shape
Counselor

I'm Baaaaaaack....

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »

Part 3 is an audience participation film through and through and really was not set up to be a scary picture. I will give you that. But I have to disagree with you when you say that Part 4 was goofy. When you say it is horrible, I mean, that surprises me. If anyone was to sit down and objectively watch Part 2 and The Final Chapter back to back, it is pretty clear that Part 4 is a superior film, and that does include the scare factor.

Outside of the opening of Part 2, for me it's hard to really watch the rest of that film and feel scared.

Well, neither of them scare me NOW. But when I first saw Part 2, there a lot of good scares in the chase scene with Ginny. I remember being on edge and jumping at things. The shot where she's in the bathroom holding the door closed while Jason smashes through the window caught me off guard. It was a good scare.

The Final Chapter didn't do any of that for me. I never felt on edge because it was suspenseful and I never jumped because it was scary. The Final Chapter is one of the more dull entries into the series. It really elicits zero response from me.
locdasmoke
Counselor

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »

See I could never call Part 4 a dull entry with no scares, but I will agree with Batty here on 2 being more scary. When I saw part 2 as a kid, that was the main reason I liked Part 2 so much, because it actually really tried to scare you. Part 4 had some cool kills and a good story and IMO it was not goofy, but it wasn't really all that scary. I would say F13th got goofy after Part 6, which is my all time favorite too..
When I was younger I really liked The Final Chapter and placed it second best, but for some reason when I watch it these days, I do end up falling a sleep most of the time, but I still don't know if I wanna call it dull and boring. I think I've just seen it too many times..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: