Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

December 18, 2017, 09:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "The quiet can fool you. . ."
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII – THE NEW BLOOD – DELUXE EDITION REVIEW  (Read 14407 times)
Dizzy
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII – THE NEW BLOOD – DELUXE EDITION

THE FILM
Again, the film looks good as it ever has.  I didn’t really notice any differences in the transfer or picture quality.

DVD COMMENTARY FEATURING DIRECTOR JOHN CARL BUECHLER AND ACTORS LAR PARK LINCOLN AND KANE HODDER

There is no other way to phrase this – this commentary absolutely sucked.  First of all, none of the three participants was even in the same room as the others: Kane Hodder phoned in to speak with Buechler in the studio, and Lincoln’s commentary was recorded separately and edited into theirs.  Buechler and Hodder added very little new insight to their previous (and far superior) commentary heard on the boxset version, while the DVD producers wisely allowed much of the track to go to Lincoln, who was pleasant enough, if not overly informative.  Because of the two separate tracks, the interaction between the participants was sorely missing, and even worse, it was badly edited to the point where conversations abruptly end, and begin.  Sometimes the track would switch from Lincoln talking to an already-in-progress conversation between Hodder and Buechler.  For those who want a good commentary on this film, I’d advise hanging onto the boxset version, because this one reeks.

JASON’S DESTROYER: THE MAKING OF….

15 minute documentary, along with Part 8, the longest of all the deluxe editions, and featuring the most cast/crew members.  Lar Park Lincoln’s interview consisted of unused footage culled from the 2004 boxset interview sessions.

Those interviewed….

John Carl Buechler (director)
Lar Park Lincoln (Tina)
Kane Hodder (Jason)
Kevin Blair (Nick)
Barry Zetlin (film editor)
Diana Barrows (Maddy)
Elizabeth Kaitan (Robin)
Fred Mollin (film composer)
John Otrin (Tina’s father)

This was mildly insightful.  Buechler shared some of the same things he’s shared in the past, though editor Barry Zetlin shares some decent insight about the MPAA process.  Diana Barrows discusses her extended death scene (which is the only one missing from this release and presumably lost forever).

There are more outtakes shown here than we see in the slashed scenes.  Most involve Jason; stalking, underwater shots, and a nifty brief shot of Kane splashing water on himself before rising from the lake.  John Otrin appears to help discuss the alternate ending which Buechler laments not being able to use.  He says it was never filmed, though it actually has appeared both on the boxset and this release.

MIND OVER MATTER: THE TRUTH ABOUT TELEKINESIS

A few parapsychologists discuss telekinesis and the way it’s depicted in the film, and discuss examples of similar phenomena in real life.  Short and mildly interesting; it gives the extra features some decent padding.

MAKEOVER BY MADDY: NEED A LITTLE TOUCH UP WORK MY ASS

Diana Barrows (Maddy) and Elizabeth Kaitan (Robin) reunite for the first time in years and get makeovers done for one another, and then go shopping for clothes together.  Short and amusing, it’s pretty cool seeing two actresses from the film interacting with one another.   Despite 21 years passing since the film, neither Kaitan nor Barrows looks much older!

SLASHED SCENES

The dude who worked with Dan Farrands said everything but what we saw on the boxset was destroyed; thankfully, that wasn’t true.  We get one extra gore scene and several deleted scenes.

Buechler introduces those scenes and explains that they come from an ancient workprint.  The gore footage looks better on the boxset because it takes up the full screen there and not just a square.  However, the footage here is presented without commentary, unlike the boxset.  Most of the gore footage is present on the boxset so I’ll only make special reference to that which isn’t.  All of the non-gory deleted scenes are new to us.  All the cut footage totals 16 minutes.

-- Brief extended dialogue, Melissa and Sandra

-- Extended car breakdown scene with Michael and girlfriend; Dan and Jane blow past them and Michael curses at them.

-- Michael’s death

-- Deleted scene with Russell and Eddie talking about Melissa

-- Dan (woodsman)’s death

-- Sleeping bag kill

-- Deleted scene with Nick and Tina in the woods

-- Another deleted scene between Nick and Tina.  In this one, Nick tells Tina she has a nice butt!

-- Russell’s death

-- Brief extended dialogue with Mrs Shepherd and Dr Crews in the car looking for Tina

-- The entire (much spoken of) deleted sequence where Robin and David smoke a joint together, and they get caught by Maddy.  Maddy ends up smoking it after they leave, and then gets caught by Jason.  This scene explains the lapse in logic in the final cut regarding why Maddy suddenly appears outside when looking for David.

-- Extended sex scene with David and Robin.  Not really more graphic, just a bit longer

-- GORE NOT SEEN ON BOXSET – The entire fabled sequence of David’s and Robin’s original demise is shown here; we see David killed with a longer knife stab than what we see elsewhere, then Jason walking upstairs and to Robin’s door.  Robin starts talking to David, but then Jason enters, carrying David’s head.  Jason tosses the head at Robin, who freaks.  This leads to Jason cutting Robin with the machete as we see on the boxset.

-- Kate’s and Ben’s deaths.

-- Eddie’s death

-- Mrs. Shepherd’s death

-- Dr Crews’ death

-- A better quality version of Melissa’s death, but otherwise identical to what we saw on the boxset

-- Alternate scene of Tina’s father in skeletal form emerging to take down Jason.

-- EXTENDED ENDING NOT SEEN ON BOXSET – First, there is more dialogue with Tina and Nick in the ambulance.  Then it pans out to the water, and the scene where the fisherman gets yanked down by Jason is extended a bit with more footage of the fish-catching process.

OVERALL, I’d give this a 2.5 out of 5 rating.

The commentary deficiencies hurt this edition a lot.  The making of documentary offered some decent material, but it wasn’t really overloaded with things we didn’t already know.  The slashed scenes offered very little gore that we didn’t see on the boxset (just the one scene).  The other deleted scenes are definitely worth a look, though I honestly don’t see any reason why they weren’t on the boxset, since they all came from the same workprint.

Overall, the material presented here is of interest to only die-hard fans.  Casual fans more than likely won’t be interested, as there just isn’t enough to warrant another purchase.  I think it’s a shame that the biggest fan favorite of the series didn’t get quite the release it’s always deserved all at one time, but had to be broken up into many releases the way it has been.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:11:09 AM by Dizzy » Logged
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

Great review. As a die hard fan I'm still looking forward to seeing it.
24HourTerror
Camp Cook

In The Chat Room I'm Fridayfafan13.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:06:04 PM »

im so pumped to get this dvd.
awesome review
im really glad we are getting more closure on these uncut scenes
for the movies we dont get closure on we get pictures so its semi-closure lol
Dizzy
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:08:22 AM »

Anybody else have the DVD yet?  What do you think?
theanue
New Blood

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:17:35 AM »

I thought it was ok I loved Lar's Commentary how she talked about how her and Kevin did not get along but she says now they are friends.

I wish the the making of it was a little longer
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »

I won't be getting it till probably the end of the week
24HourTerror
Camp Cook

In The Chat Room I'm Fridayfafan13.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

i just went to walmart to get this and it wasnt there.
i was so mad  Angry
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »

I'm currently watching the Slashed Scenes, and I really like some of them - other then the horrible acting LOL. Its funny how I don't really notice it in the movie, but its hard NOT to notice here.

One scene I thought was really odd/funny was when Nick is walking in the woods with Tina and he randomly tells her she has a nice butt. That whole scene just did NOT fit in.

I liked the scene of Michael and Jane on the side of the road, with the other two driving by.

Maddie's scene was interesting. I can see how it all makes sense now.

and...HAHAHAHA at Jason throwing David's head at Robin.

I did like how even though a lot of these scenes were released on the box set that they decided to include them again...I haven't compared side by side, but it seems like the quality on them might be a little worse then the box set? Not sure
Dizzy
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:06 PM »

I agree, the boxset footage looks better.  For one, it is fullscreen, whereas the footage on the new DVD is a square.  I think that makes a difference.
Ghost
The God of Fuck
Head Counselor

21st Century Schizoid Man

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »

but it seems like the quality on them might be a little worse then the box set? Not sure

i noticed too. i liked the DVD extras but Maddie's "needs a little touch up work my ass" was dumb and useless. the extras on part 8 were better. i do not understand why they could not reinstate the uncut footage in part 8. with all the technology we have today they could easily fix the picture and sound.

part 7 raised some questions. why is Jason breathing if he is dead? i mean he has no lungs! and why does he pass out when he falls through the floor? why does he keep falling when little things hit him like heads, plants, lights? how can Jason get around so fast if he just sombers everywhere? why is Christel lake called Christel lake  and not Forrest green? why is tinas fathers body at the bottom of the lake? did they not even care about the funereal? fuckheads!
why did they celebrate the birthday with out the BDAY boy? what the fuck happened to Jason to make him miss pieces of his mask? did any body else realize there Jason has no ears in this? why the fuck am i asking so many damn questions? what is the meaning of life? why was villnilla ice ever famous?  who am i? who are you? who who? who who? tell me who you are! where is the maltose falcon?
Dizzy
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 06:01:20 PM »

part 7 raised some questions. why is Jason breathing if he is dead?

Because he's the living dead.  Wink

i mean he has no lungs!

Sure he does, they're just atrophying.

and why does he pass out when he falls through the floor?

He doesn't.  He's playin' possum!  Tongue

why does he keep falling when little things hit him like heads, plants, lights?

Because those AREN'T little things!  A potted plant is HEAVY!  So is a light that shatters in your face!  Add to that the fact that those objects hit him HARD.

how can Jason get around so fast if he just sombers everywhere?

Because he's Jason.   Jason Pt. 3  How dare you question that about him.

why is Christel lake called Christel lake  and not Forrest green?

It isn't called either.  It's called Crystal Lake.   Tongue

why is tinas fathers body at the bottom of the lake? did they not even care about the funereal? fuckheads!

You can fuck their heads all you want, but Tina's father is merely an apparition in the lake.  Buechler's original vision made that more clear.

why did they celebrate the birthday with out the BDAY boy?

They had the party already set up and started and were waiting on him, and then he didn't show for some odd reason (!).

what the fuck happened to Jason to make him miss pieces of his mask?

The motorboat propeller tore into his face (and the mask) at the end of Part VI.  Jason Pt. 7

why the fuck am i asking so many damn questions?

I was wondering the same thing...

what is the meaning of life?

Donuts.  Lots and lots of donuts.

why was villnilla ice ever famous? 

Because you and 7 million other people bought his album.

who am i?

The guy asking all these damn questions.

tell me who you are!

The guy answering all these damn questions because I've got nothing better to do.

where is the maltose falcon?

Back in 1941.
Ghost
The God of Fuck
Head Counselor

21st Century Schizoid Man

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 06:48:09 PM »

Because he's the living dead.  Wink

so is your mama! Wink

Sure he does, they're just atrophying.

i have no idea what that even means!!!

He doesn't.  He's playin' possum!  Tongue

why?

Because those AREN'T little things!  A potted plant is HEAVY!  So is a light that shatters in your face!  Add to that the fact that those objects hit him HARD.

but he is frigging jason! that should mean something!

Because he's Jason.   Jason Pt. 3  How dare you question that about him.

well.....he could at least kill in a brisk walk or something.....

It isn't called either.  It's called Crystal Lake.   Tongue

Not my falt i'm illiterate!

You can fuck their heads all you want, but Tina's father is merely an apparition in the lake.  Buechler's original vision made that more clear.

Or is he?

They had the party already set up and started and were waiting on him, and then he didn't show for some odd reason (!).

that makes them assholes!

The motorboat propeller tore into his face (and the mask) at the end of Part VI.  Jason Pt. 7

finnaly an answer that makes sence.

I was wondering the same thing...

because i am confuesed!!!

Donuts.  Lots and lots of donuts.

...and to thin i though it was donuts bigger athletic cousien bagels! Wink

Because you and 7 million other people bought his album.

your mama baught it for me! Roll Eyes

The guy asking all these damn questions.

....oh yeah.....

The guy answering all these damn questions because I've got nothing better to do.

you are lonly and have no life.

Back in 1941.

and it is still a great movie!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: