Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

October 18, 2017, 12:01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "What is this, a joke?"
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII – JASON TAKES MANHATTAN – DELUXE EDITION DVD REVIEW  (Read 13850 times)
Dizzy
« on: September 13, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »

As I mentioned in the other thread, I got my hands on copies of Part 7-8 courtesy of a store which mistakenly puts them on the shelves early.   Grin

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII – JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989) – DELUXE EDITION

THE FILM
The film looked good.  I’ve read Kat’s review where we get all this stuff about how great the picture looked in comparison to the last release, but I don’t much notice that stuff.

DVD COMMENTARY FEATURING ACTORS SCOTT REEVES, JENSEN DAGGETT, and KANE HODDER

Contrary to all the advertising, Rob Hedden doesn’t appear on this commentary, so hang onto the boxset release if you want his commentating insight.

Scott and Jensen are live in the studio, but Kane only appears via telephone on the commentary, which sucks that he wasn’t there in person, but otherwise it was a really good commentary, one of the best of the new releases.

In the tradition of the Part 5 commentary, this commentary is often hilariously funny.  Jensen, Scott, and Kane are very loose and high-spirited and provide loads of laughs during the show.  But unlike Part 5, which didn’t give much insight into the actual filmmaking process, the commentary on the film does indeed give us some info on the film.  Kane in particular shares some good tidbits on how some of the kills and stunts were done.  Rennie points out her mom on a barstool and Kane points out “Jason Lives” graffiti on the subway.

NEW YORK HAS A NEW PROBLEM: THE MAKING OF….

The documentaries on Part 7-8 are the best – and longest – of the new releases.  Both are between 15-20 minutes long and involve the highest number of cast and crew members.

People involved:

Kane Hodder (Jason)
Rob Hedden (writer/director)
Scott Reeves (Sean)
Jensen Daggett (Rennie)
Peter Mark Richman (Charles McCollough)
V.C. Dupree (Julius)
Tim Mirkovich (Young Jason)
Steve Mirkovich (film editor)
Tiffany Paulson (Suzi)
Sharlene Martin (Tamara)
Fred Mollin (film composer)

The cast/crew discuss their experiences as always, and there was discussion amongst Hedden, the editor, and Hodder about the kills being edited to appease the MPAA.  Also discussed were the alternate ending to the film and Fred Mollin discusses the scoring process, Kane discusses his true feelings about the ending, among other things.  Tiffany Paulson exclaims that her body double for her death scene had bigger boobs than she does (ha).

Some little tidbits featured on the documentary: Kane reveals the boxing kill was his favorite in Part VIII (although he exclaims “you really get the shit beat out of you!” from doing a scene like that), footage of Rob Hedden in the shower before Tamara does her nude scene (to coax her into doing nudity, lol), VC Dupree reveals that he still has his decapitated head, and there are a few outtake shots of Jason, including one of Kane unmasking after a take with Kelly Hu.  An outtake on a Time Square date reveals that they shot in NYC on May 4, 1989 (the slate also gives Ashes to Ashes as the title).  An alternate take of the Admiral’s throat slashing is shown.

SLASHED SCENES

The huge disappointment here (especially after what Mr. Farrands told us) is that very little of what was cut ended up being shown here.  I suppose that was all too good to be true, since we now know that most of the footage from that era was destroyed.  But it’s disappointing nevertheless.  But there are 12 minutes contained here (Rob Hedden once stated that 30 minutes plus gore was cut from what he filmed) and here are the cut scenes as they are chronologically presented on the DVD…

-- Brief Suzi/Jim extra dialogue

-- Brief Suzi/Jim extra dialogue, extending the Jason story

-- EXTRA GORE – Jim’s death featuring an extra shot of blood spewing out of his abdomen

-- Extended scene in car between Rennie/Colleen before they get out to board the ship

-- Brief extra dialogue in the scene where McCollough speaks to Colleen about Rennie before boarding the ship

-- Extended scene between Admiral Robertson, First Mate, Sean, and his friend when they first board the boat

-- Extended scene with Tamara and Eva, the latter actually shown snorting coke before McCollough catches them

-- EXTRA GORE – Famous alternate boxer death – The deckhand stumbles around and comes across the boxer with darts jammed in his eyes

-- EXTRA GORE – A barely perceptible microsecond of extra flame when Jason jams a hot rock into the boxer’s abdomen

-- Extended scene with Colleen and Rennie after Rennie falls in the water; she shares the “Jason in the lake” story with Colleen

-- Brief deleted scene with Sean and Rennie

-- EXTRA GORE – well, not really, it’s a bloodless stab added back to the First mate’s death scene.

-- Extended radio broadcast scene involving numerous characters.

-- EXTRA GORE – A more graphic shot of Tamara’s dead body.  No nudity, just an actual shot of mirror shards protruding from her.

-- Extended lifeboat entry scene

-- Alternate ending where Young Jason is seen in Jason’s mouth, trying to squirm free (you have to see it to understand).

GAG REEL
As I mentioned elsewhere, all the footage here was amusing but not overly hilarious.  It does feature the cast dancing to a Prince song, and also features Kane’s “dildo” trick during the Suzi kill!  The original actor playing Sean was featured in one take.

ALL TOLD, I’d give it a 4/5.  The commentary was good (though would’ve been better if Kane had been in the room with them).  The cut scenes were welcome but were sorely lacking in the gore department, so I have to knock off some serious points for that, regardless of the reasons why they weren’t there.  The documentary was very good and had some surprises with who appeared (V.C. Dupree, Tiffany Paulson, Tim Mirkovich).

I think what really makes this release of JASON TAKES MANHATTAN stand out is that it does truly offer a plethora of extra features that have not been released before.  That wasn’t the case for really any of the other releases (save for Part 4).  Definitely worth buying.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:03:59 AM by Dizzy » Logged
Rich
Head Counselor

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »

Thank you for the review Dizzy. There is no real justification for getting this DVD release. I got Part 3 for the 3D aspect of it. I got Parts 4 and 6 out of curiousoty. I don't think I'll really need any more of them (unless I win that contest). I own the box set. That will be good enough for me.
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:33:22 PM »

Nice review!

If you don't mind I'm going to link it on the main page of Camp Blood. As far as I know there are no other reviews out for this DVD...yet.
Dizzy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »

Nice review!

If you don't mind I'm going to link it on the main page of Camp Blood. As far as I know there are no other reviews out for this DVD...yet.

No problem!
Dizzy
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »

Okay, who's got this one?  What do you think?
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »

You know... I don't think I've fully watched the special features yet!

I was sad that the dildo thing wasn't more funny though
Dizzy
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »

You know... I don't think I've fully watched the special features yet!

Ya gotta get on that!

I was sad that the dildo thing wasn't more funny though

I think that was one of those "you had to be there" moments, like so many on-set gags.
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

I think that was one of those "you had to be there" moments, like so many on-set gags.

Yeah, could be. I just remember when Kane was talkin about it...it seemed so much funnier. Like the girl was just down there squirming still. Why didn't she laugh? LOL
Dizzy
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »

Yeah, could be. I just remember when Kane was talkin about it...it seemed so much funnier. Like the girl was just down there squirming still. Why didn't she laugh? LOL

My guess is because she wasn't actually there.  The camera guy was in there, and I doubt the girl could've been in there too, despite what Kane said.
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »

My guess is because she wasn't actually there.  The camera guy was in there, and I doubt the girl could've been in there too, despite what Kane said.

Ah, I didn't think about that. I guess maybe I remembered it wrong. I thought he said that the girl was laughing because it was so unexpected. Guess it must have been the cameraman.
Dizzy
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 11:31:59 PM »

Well Kane did say on the commentary that he was playing a prank on Tiffany Paulsen, but I can't imagine her actually being in there with the cameraman.  Maybe she saw him during her take rather than the one we see.
Dizzy
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

A year after posting this review, who wants to comment on the features on this release?  I noticed that nobody ever really remarked on having seen it.
Struckworld
Head Counselor

New York has a new problem...

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 04:45:31 PM »

I would love to own this but I have the Box Set and thats it for me, but those special features look pretty awesome
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: