Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

December 17, 2017, 08:19:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "They're all crazy!"
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: Friday The 13th (2009) Discussion  (Read 56424 times)
ProwlerChad
Camp Cook

« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »

I prefer human Jason, but with better characters as victims.
Zombiemaniac
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2010, 09:33:01 PM »

I am not at all suprised by the thin characterization in this movie because it's been this way since the classics the only likeable characters I can remember that depth to them were Ginny, Paul, Nick, Tommy Jarvis in part 4 and 6.  Jenna, Clay, and whitney in the remake were all okay characters but didn't stand out much though I would like Whitney if she had actually run away from Jason when saw her friend get killed and instead of just  doing some some crab walk and I wish she didn't baby Jason at the end and then turn around and deliver some completely stupid line.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:35:04 PM by Zombiemaniac » Logged
Spectre1428
Junior Admin
Head Counselor

« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »

I am not at all suprised by the thin characterization in this movie because it's been this way since the classics the only likeable characters I can remember that depth to them were Ginny, Paul, Nick, Tommy Jarvis in part 4 and 6.  Jenna, Clay, and whitney in the remake were all okay characters but didn't stand out much though I would like Whitney if she had actually run away from Jason when saw her friend get killed and instead of just  doing some some crab walk and I wish she didn't baby Jason at the end and then turn around and deliver some completely stupid line.

The difference is that in the original films, the characters have memorable lines and are easily identifiable. Every character in the remake are absolutely redundant, and the only brief times that we the audience identify as character back story, is nothing more than needless exposition. I didn't connect with any of the characters in this film, and the difference between the original films and this remake is that I can watch maybe 5 mins of one of the original films, and immediately grasp who the character is, what the traits are of that character and what will eventually lead to their downfall such as hormones, gluttony, basically any of the seven deadly sins.

The characters of Clay and Whitney have no characterization, they have nothing to rely on except for unnecessary exposition to make the audience try and understand with the them on a deeper level. They also have a ridiculous toss away line about her and Clay's mother dying which doesn't constitute as a meaty back story, it is as useless as their appearance in this film. So much could have been brought to this reboot but I'm disappointed in what they didn't do.

Was anyone else mildly annoyed by the creepy grandma that was ripped straight out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I would have much preferred a character like Crazy Ralph, but we just got left over granny from the Hewitt family.
Zombiemaniac
« Reply #273 on: July 10, 2010, 11:36:45 PM »

One thing that I did liike about this film was how they introduced a new age group

In the original films you got mostly teens age 16-18 now you have college age adults in the 21-23 age range
Spectre1428
Junior Admin
Head Counselor

« Reply #274 on: July 10, 2010, 11:55:44 PM »

One thing that I did liike about this film was how they introduced a new age group

In the original films you got mostly teens age 16-18 now you have college age adults in the 21-23 age range

I don't remember there being any reference to them being college kids but anyone in the original series could have been in the same age range. For example: In the original Friday the 13th novel there is a reference that Jack and Marcie are doing the summer camp gig before they go on to different college's. And in Part 2 Ginny is an aspiring Child Psychologist, personally I don't think any of the characters were below the age of 17. Larry Zerner (Shelly) from Part 3 was 18 when he was chosen for the role so I think everyone was at least 18 and up which would make everyone in the Post-High School and Entry Level College range.

We don't actually receive an extensive knowledge of everyone's high school records and nobody really acts like they're still in High School except for Cort in Part 6 Jason Lives in my opinion.
Zombiemaniac
« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »

This is a bit random but does anyone else think it leaves a greater impact when a killers victims are believable and likeable characters with a actual personality?  When I watched TCM the beginning for the first time I was sad to see the two brothers die and Chrissie not live but when I watched the friday the 13th remake I didn't feel sorry for them at all because they were all stereotypical cliched horror movie characters and they had no real depth or personality.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:56:42 PM by Zombiemaniac » Logged
Spectre1428
Junior Admin
Head Counselor

« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »

This is a bit random but does anyone else think it leaves a greater impact when a killers victims are believable and likeable characters with a actual personality?

Absolutely, that is the best way to connect to a character in a horror movie and it only works if they have a personality, instead of a one note character whose purpose is to be fodder for the killer. I, unfortunately don't remember the Texas Chainsaw prequel or it's characters but I did have an attachment for the characters in the remake. If you hadn't told me their names I wouldn't have even remembered them but I definitely recall Kemper, Morgan, Pepper, and Andy. They were fun, had laughs, and came off to me as average kids just like in the original.

I connected to those characters and was rooting for each of them to survive. I can't say the same for anyone in the F13th remake though and it was directed by the same man. They may as well have all been cardboard cut-outs getting sliced and diced because that is what they were equivalent to. Aside from maybe Lawrence and Chewie there was nobody else I particularly liked, other than the kids in the beginning who are heads and tails above the main cast in this movie. I wish the kids in the beginning would have been the ones being chased by Jason throughout the movie instead of the Douche from Transformers, Matthew Mcconaughey, the other girls who all looked the same and had the personality of a used sardine can.
Zombiemaniac
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »

I also liked the TCM remake characters and main cast and I think both females leads in the remake and prequel were although orignally being eye candy for the male auidence also had depth to their characters and were actually likeable and believable for final girls . In the remake of friday the 13th you didn't get that you just got the screaming girl Whitney who does nothing for a final girl which is pretty boring IMO
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:45:49 PM by Zombiemaniac » Logged
Ghost
The God of Fuck
Head Counselor

21st Century Schizoid Man

« Reply #278 on: July 15, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »

The 2 final girls in this were way too identical. When I saw Friday the 13th in theaters I thought the sister was killed. I could not tell the difference. They were almost the same damn person. And that's another reason why the cast was bad. In every other movie in the series this could never happen. Evey one in the first 11 were original and very differnt. In this one I can't remember any of their names besides chewie.
Zombiemaniac
« Reply #279 on: July 15, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »

The 2 final girls in this were way too identical. When I saw Friday the 13th in theaters I thought the sister was killed. I could not tell the difference. They were almost the same damn person. And that's another reason why the cast was bad. In every other movie in the series this could never happen. Evey one in the first 11 were original and very differnt. In this one I can't remember any of their names besides chewie.

Which finals girls are you referring to? Jenna and whitney?
Ghost
The God of Fuck
Head Counselor

21st Century Schizoid Man

« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »

Which finals girls are you referring to? Jenna and whitney?

Not sure. The sister and non slut.
Spectre1428
Junior Admin
Head Counselor

« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »

Not sure. The sister and non slut.

That's Jenna and Whitney alright. It was a little bit harder to remember the girls in this one but I could tell Whitney apart from Jenna. Jenna was kind and sweet, while I remember Whitney just being the damsel in distress. I got more confused with the blonde surfer chick with the Matthew McConaughey look alike and the slutty girl who was always with the video camera. They had the least amount of characterization and were just there to be slaughtered pretty much.
Zombiemaniac
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2010, 12:52:41 AM »

Ugh most of the female characters in this movie were slutty I mean the whole whore in the woods things has always been part of the classics but in the classics they had women who had but they didn't have women strutting their stuff in front of guys other than their boyfriends and dancing like hoes in a club
Pine Hurst
Camper

« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2010, 07:46:50 PM »

The cinematography is too slick. I don't mind the slick, gothic cinematography of Part VI, but this movie tried to pay homage to the the first four flicks. It's too slick. It takes away from the creepiness.

The score is okay, but it's so forgettable. They should've paid more homage to the music from the first four. Certainly more Jason sounds. My guess is that they thought the early music and using the jason sounds more often would be too dated, and decided not to use them. I don't agree.

The opening sequence is pretty darn good. It contains the only creepy parts of the movie. The cabin attack, and that scene where Jason is just standing there, then runs up and kills Richie. The Mrs. Voorhees flashback should've been used during the campfire scene. I also thought it a little campy. It should've been more natural and creepy.

Some people complain about the shaky cam, but it only seemed like they used it occasionally. So it didn't bother me that much.

I would prefer Jason without the jacket, but it's not awful or anything. The hockey mask is too dirty. It looks creepier when it's clean, imo.

Some people complain about Jason taking a hostage. It doesn't bother me. I also love Jason going back to running. The trap setting is very interesting. The tunnels dont bother me. I mostly love this new version of Jason, but I prefer him in the shadows were often.

Some people complain about the deaths, but I'm fine with most of them. They're not overly creative, but I thought they were executed well. Everything has been done before anyway. Bree's is probably the only one I'd change.

I liked the Donnie character. He reminds of the kind of characters in Part V.

I think the second group of characters are uneven.  I thought Trent, Lawrence, Clay and Chewey were good as far as Friday characters go. Jenna was very nice, but maybe could've been fleshed out more. Bree, Chelsea and Nolan barely had any dialogue before they got offed. That's ridiculous. These characters party a little too much for my taste. It reminds me of The Final Chapter. That movie had too much dull partying going on. I would've fleshed out all the characters a little more. Have some of them doing more interesting things. Make the scenes between Clay and Jenna searching for Whitney a little more interesting. Make one of the characters a prankster. An homage to Ned, Ted and Shelly.

The sex scene between Bree and Trent is pretty awesome. I wish it were filmed a little better, though, and I think Trent's lines are a little too goofy, but that's just nitpicking. It's great, ridiculously long and gratuitous. Julianna Guill has big, natural breasts. Second best body of the series, after Debi Sue Voorhees.

Some of characters should've acted more afraid. The chase at the end isn't bad, but would've been creepier with better score and more naturalistic cinematography. I'm also tired of the guy surviving with the girl trend. Clay should've been killed off early on, so it would be just the girls being chased. Whitney being the sole survivor. Jason's death is pretty cool, but the ending is a tired cliche. If they needed a final punchline, it should've been more interesting.

Overall, I think this is a decent movie, but it's underwelming. I think it was a decent attempt at paying homage to the first four movies, but it's a little too modern, and they missed too many details. It could've been better. Julianna Guill is probably the main reason I've watched this movie more than twice, since I got the DVD.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:32:33 AM by Pine Hurst » Logged
jimmyd
Smoke it to Your
Head Counselor

my michael/jason/freddy/pinhead tattoo

« Reply #284 on: July 18, 2010, 02:44:37 AM »

a part of me actually doesnt like wade from the beginning... hes kind of annoying with the way he talks... .. and his kill was kinda weak too..... and how .. HOW do you miss the beautiful stench of mary-jane.. i mean.. he was pissin right on it!! haha
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: