Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

October 21, 2017, 10:59:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT(1) Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "We ain't gonna stand for no weirdness out here!"
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: Friday The 13th (2009) Discussion  (Read 55121 times)
Sir Snooty Tooty
Resident Evil Maven
Lifeguard

Great Party, Isn't It?

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »

As I watched this my first thought was on how old I am now. I can still remember seeing the original at the Garden Grove Drive-In with my folks back in 1980. Damn I feel old.

I have to say I loved the reboot. It was a great Friday the 13th film. The filmmakers knew what they wanted to do and set out to do it well. For me, having been a fan since the literal beginning of the series, it was a weird experience. Like watching a child grow. Jason had come full circle. The so-called "cockroach of horror films" had finally earned it's place in the Hall of Horror Classics. And it's box office take shows I'm not the only one who thinks this. The "Jason as a pot farmer", (even though he really wasn't), had this kind of classic fairy tale aspect to it. A group of kids, (seekers), goes in search of a bumper-crop of Crystal Lake Killer, (treasure), that is "guarded" by, (the literal sleeping dragon), Jason. Derek Mears is the best Jason since Kane Hodder. Rather than a lumbering zombie Mears made Jason the "Oh Shit!" bulldozer we all remember from the 80's Friday flicks. And, oh yeah, I wouldn't be a dirty old man if I didn't mention all the appealing eye-candy that the majority of female cast members displayed in this. I don't think I've seen that much T&A in a Friday film since Part V.

Now, this is not to say I didn't have faults with it. I found a shitload as a matter of fact. The beginning was too truncated. I would have liked to have seen more of Pamela's massacre. And Nana Visitor was not my first choice for the part. Fairuza Bulk would have been mine. And why was Jason running around half naked in the rain? Plus, that age old classic, that blast from the past, that platter that matters, if the Voorhees House was that close to the camp why the Hell didn't Jason just go home after he "drowned"? Maybe this is good insight by the writers though. As we all know going into the whole back story didn't work too well for the Halloween remake.

Another complaint I tend to agree with the lack of characterization. Now, any one who's seen a Friday the 13th knows that it's characters are like Simpsons characters, meaning they're all a caricature. But, I buy this criticism because in the old F13s we got a group of characters we got to know over most of the movie. By splitting the cast between two diffrent groups this watered down the characters even more. Some, like the hick in the barn, really was in there for nothing more than to get whacked and give Jason his hockey mask. But hey, that's Friday the 13th Baby! Anyone remember the fat hitchhiker with the banana?

My last beef was Jason's face. Or lack there of of seeing it for long. Call me a purist but I wanted that slo-mo shot of Jason's ugly mug we had in the first four films. What I saw looked great. I just wish I had seen more.

All in all I have two words concerning this remake. They are:

Jason Lives. Jason Pt. 3
MrVooRheeS
Lifeguard

He Returns 2010

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »

I watched this movie last night and all I have to say was that Jason Voorhees(Derek Mears) pushed the button on the ass kicking machine!

Yeah, for me, he is my favorite Jason now.  Grin
Hoping he returns in the sequel, to star as Jason.
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »

I just keep saying...why are most characters in horror flicks, assholes/sobs these days? Not a single one was back through Friday 1-4
MrVooRheeS
Lifeguard

He Returns 2010

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »

Not a whole lot of people in the world are jerks too.
tigertim38
Camp Cook

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »

It looks like Friday the 13th will have another big day at the box office on Friday March 13th. If I go see it for a 3rd time in the theatre it'll be on that day.
Paint the Room Red
Victim

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »

Alright kiddies I finally got around to checking out the Friday the 13th flick. And as some of you may know I am quite a fan of the slasher series. When the first one came out in 1980 I was just a gleam in my daddy's eye. But as the 80's went on and I was growing up the image of Jason Voorhees would haunt my dreams. In fact it wasn't until I was 13 or 14 I decided to "face my fears" and start checking out the movies. And once I was able to get past the fear from my childhood I was able to enjoy the movies for what they were. They were fun to watch. The movies were so campy, so god-awful that they were good.

Let’s face it they kept cranking out sequels despite having films with names like: The Final Chapter and Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday. I mean it wasn't too hard to make one of these films, they made the same movie (to date) 13 times. It was the same formula: bunch of Horney teens go into the woods a lot of Horney teens don't come back out. The only things that were different were the shipment of generic teens from the suburbs that would be slaughtered by Jason and the imaginative ways they would be dispatched. Hell they even decided to try putting Jason in a city and shooting him into outer space (believe me kiddies I couldn't make this up).

So after Freddy vs. Jason (the subject of many drunken debates) came out in 2003 it was announced that they would be making (yet again) another Friday the 13th. And I have to admit I was excited about it. I guess no matter how many times a hockey masked homicidal manic slashes topless girls with a machete I'll always be in line to see it, I'm just a sucker for it. And after much waiting on Friday, February 13th 2009 Friday the 13th was released in theaters.

Now I wasn't able to see it opening week and in doing so I was checking out the reviews and finding quite a mixed bag of criticisms. I read reviews from movie sites, fan sites, and every other kind of sights you can imagine. But let me address all the critics’ right here: What in the hell did you expect? If you want to watch thoughtful, meaningful, creative movies go check out "It's a Wonderful Life." If you want Oscar worthy material then go rent "Rocky" or "Citizen Kane."  In 2009 you can't tell me that no one has watched at least one of those movies. You can't tell me that nobody knows what to expect. To walk out of a theatre complain about the acting, plot holes, errors, etc... In a Friday movie is like walking out of a whore house saying "I just didn't feel loved."

Going to a Friday movies is a lot like going to McDonald's you know what to expect when you go in there. I don't go to a Mexican restaurant and ask for good fried chicken so why would you go into a Friday movie with these high expectations? You know what you’re going to get why can't people just sit there shut up, eat their popcorn, and enjoy the damn movie? It's been called "stale" "dated" "campy" among other things and to some extent you have to agree, however would you really want to watch a slasher flick that wasn't? Are slasher flicks supposed to be vying for an Oscar?  Would it even have a chance if they did adjust the script as such? Would the fans go and see it if they did?

Anyways enough with the ranting. Some people don't know what to call this film. Is it a sequel? A prequel? Reboot? Remake? Kind of a yes to all of the above. It's not a sequel to Freddy vs. Jason. It's not a prequel to Jason X. But it is kind of a reboot/remake. What the producers were going for was this: If Friday the 13th from 1980 never happened this is how the movie would be done in 2009. Also takes elements from the first three movies and crams them together into one movie. Why the first three? Because they are highly regarded as the "true" Friday films by the hardcore fans.

So on with the review. Now I'm not going to give away too much for those that haven't seen the movie yet so I'll try to give a good review and be vague on some details. The story goes that in June of 1980 a crazy old woman kills some camp counselors after her son drowns at Camp Crystal Lake. Well one of the counselors takes her head off with a machete, but little does she know that Jason was watching and now Jason Voorhees now stalks the lake killing any that dare to enter his territory.

So fast forward to modern day a group of teens (of course) go into the woods looking for a hidden marijuana crop near the old abandoned Camp Crystal Lake and go missing. The Brother of one of the missing teens comes looking six weeks later and let the blood bath begin. I’ll say that the formula is pretty much the same as it was back in the 80's and 90's, with some modernization of the characters. But the acting isn't really that bad and in fact I was quite impressed with some of the teen actors (but then again I go in with low expectations) and Derek Mears stills the show as a terrifying Jason.

Since I'm a fan of the old Friday series I saw some things that were tributes to the older films. I saw some death scenes that were spins off of old kills in other movies. Nothing too imaginative, but then again when it comes to these movies less is more, yeah what they lack in creativity they make up for in brutality. I mean Jason is supposed to be a tank, a non stoppable killing machine, not a genius coming up with "elaborate" kills. It satisfied my blood thirst. The music in my opinion was generic, but then again after Harry Manfrini did the original it is a big shoe to fill.  And the ending I didn't really like, but I think it did stay true to the old films so I think I will let it slide.

So if you’re still conflicted on whether or not to see this movie I'll give you those Drive-In Totals (with apologies to Joe Bob Briggs):

We have:

13 Dead Bodies (appropriate number)
6 Breasts (10 if you count inanimate objects)
Multiple Aardvarking
Pick through the skull
Fire Poker to the Eye
Axe to the spine.
Multiple Teen Impalement.
Teen Pin Cushion
Death by Sleeping Bag
Throat Slitting
Machete through the face
Arrow through the skull
Kung Fu
Machete Fu
Fire poker Fu
Bear Trap Fu
Wood Chipper Fu
Heads Roll
2 Gallons of Blood
A 64 on the Vomit Meter

Award Nominations go out to Jared Padalecki as the hero, Travis Van Winkle as the douche bag, and of course Derek Mears as Jason 2009.

4 stars (out of 4).

If you’re a fan check it out, if you’re on a date and want her to jump in your lap check it out. If you’re not a fan of the series either go in with an open mind and just watch it or wait for it on DVD.
MrVooRheeS
Lifeguard

He Returns 2010

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2009, 02:26:47 PM »

This movie was so good, that I really, seriously, can't wait for a sequel.
Come on, we need some news on a sequel!
24HourTerror
Camp Cook

In The Chat Room I'm Fridayfafan13.

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »

im pretty sure a sequel will happen i hope they make one and then go back to the  old series by freddy vs jason
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2009, 10:16:29 PM »

This movie was so good, that I really, seriously, can't wait for a sequel.
Come on, we need some news on a sequel!

hahah, ok ok ok ok ....i think we all get it...you want a sequel! Wink
tigertim38
Camp Cook

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »

The orginal Friday the 13th only made $5M and some change and it had a series of sequels. The remake takes in $50M in one week. So there's no doubt that there will be Friday the 13th:Part 2-version 2.
MrVooRheeS
Lifeguard

He Returns 2010

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »

hahah, ok ok ok ok ....i think we all get it...you want a sequel! Wink

Haha, very much.  Grin
24HourTerror
Camp Cook

In The Chat Room I'm Fridayfafan13.

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »

i hope friday the 13th part 2 is a remake of 4 5 6 WELL not 5 but some elements of 5
MrVooRheeS
Lifeguard

He Returns 2010

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »

i hope friday the 13th part 2 is a remake of 4 5 6 WELL not 5 but some elements of 5

I hope its an entirely new movie, original.
ProwlerChad
Camp Cook

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »

I had a big problem with the Voorhees house being at the camp. I hope the sequel is as good as this latest entry. MORE GORE!!
MrVooRheeS
Lifeguard

He Returns 2010

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »

I had a big problem with the Voorhees house being at the camp. I hope the sequel is as good as this latest entry. MORE GORE!!

Totally agree, more gore!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: