Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

December 18, 2017, 04:02:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "This place is spooky"
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: Friday the 13th part 5 discussion  (Read 61868 times)
Jasonlives52
Camper

« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »

When I reflect back on Part V, I understand the thinking of the day since I was probably in that original demographic being I was 19 getting ready to turn 20 when this came out. Because the Final Chapter had been hyped so much as being just that, I think people were cynical about seeing a new film so soon after the fact. You also have to remember this was 1985, and there had been a new movie every year starting in 1980 with the franchise only taking one break in 1983, before the supposed final installment. So to see it not even take a breather and skip a year seemed suspect.

In the 80's, audiences were either all in or heavily divided. I think the Friday the 13th franchise had the general public on board until the final chapter. The series had been fresh enough and Jason more than interesting enough that most anyone with a fleeting interest bought a ticket. But in those days people liked to see things wrap up. Star Wars had just finished it's run in 1983 and quite honestly, at that moment, the Lucas brand looked old and tired. So I believe when audiences checked in to see one more round with Jason, the Final Chapter was going to stretch it as far as people could accept. And that turned out to be relatively true.

So when 'A New Beginning' came out, you saw what became a relatively steep decline in ticket receipts. Up until then the franchise had enjoyed a really huge turn out in box office returns with Part II being the only exception because, at that point, I don't think Jason was particularly defined. So the great irony of Part V is the general public stopped showing up and the die-hard fans stepped in. Fans kept the series banking between $19 and $20 million an installment for several more entries. In my eyes, since I was one of those die-hards, it became clear this was truly a love-fest for Jason and the more they twisted and contorted him, the better.

So as much as Part V was frowned on in it's day for not having Jason, it definitely signaled a new norm because now it was strictly the fans showing up to see these films and Paramount, to it's credit, rewarded them by bringing Jason back in Part VI. In many ways Part V holds a very proud moment in the history of the franchise for that reason. I like that film now more than ever, so I really have no ambiguous feelings about it's merits. It was at THAT moment the studio had decided to move forward regardless and the real fans of the series showed up to make sure the series got that support.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:02:54 AM by Jasonlives52 » Logged
Jasons Shack
Camper

« Reply #466 on: April 07, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »

That was a very good summary man, enjoyed reading it.

The previous 3 times I watched part 5 I didnt really enjoy it. I decided to watch it again the other day when the anniversarry rolled around and I liked it alot more. Maybe I finally accepted it for what is was and was able to look past it I dont know. There are still huge issues with it...but overall its a fun movie. Also if you look at it as part 2 in the trilogy of Tommy than its not bad at all.
Fragminion
Camper

« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »

I just rewatched this the other day and I had to wonder....Was dressing like a 50's Greaser really a thing?
fabien
Lifeguard

« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2017, 06:04:03 AM »

the best death should be that of jake like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmFTD9w9SI
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]
  Print  

Jump to: