Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

November 18, 2017, 10:38:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "Steve should never have opened this place again!"
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: Friday the 13th(1980) or Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter(1984)  (Read 134 times)
cinemafan97
New Blood

« on: September 12, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »

Which is better and why?
Jameslofton
Lifeguard

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:00:59 AM »

The Final Chapter.

While not my favorite, it definitely has the best cast in the entire franchise. Its story isn't too convoluted as they're trying to wrap it all up. The franchise is already changing direction though as audiences are now cheering the killer and F13 is just becoming a popcorn film.

I'm not a huge fan of the original. Out of the 80s films, I've watched the first one the least amount of times. If we ever get another remake, I want the original film ignored completely.
SBleeder
Victim

Paul, there's someone in this room...

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »

I'd say The Final Chapter, although I love both.

The original has aged well over time in my opinion.  We've got the element of not knowing who's doing the killing; Part 5 is the only other movie that's a "whodunnit" to an extent.  The original Friday the 13th created the formula that would be replicated in the Paramount sequels (along with hundreds of other F13 knockoffs):  Teenagers go into the woods... teenagers have sex/smoke pot/drink... teenagers get slaughtered... the "last girl" and perhaps her boyfriend survive to fight off the killer. 

Betsy Palmer does an outstanding job of portraying a deranged, vengeful mother, and Adrienne King is one of the best last girls of the series. 

In light of the fact that this movie was never actually intended to spark a franchise, I'd say it did pretty well in establishing some of the mythology that carries over into the sequels.

___
The Final Chapter is probably my favorite film in the entire series for a number of reasons.

More so than in any of the other sequels, the characters are very well developed in this movie.  We get a couple of future stars in Corey Feldman and Crispin Glover, and they're surrounded by a lot of interesting characters. 

Slasher films are known for having shallow character development; and to an extent I understand this.  The movie is only 90-110 minutes long, and we've got a lot of people that need to get slaughtered.  We can't spend forever getting to know them.  But if we don't care at all about the victims it diminishes the effect when the film starts to kill them off. 

The Final Chapter creates several entertaining dynamics:  Jimmy and Ted's back-and-forth, Doug's love triangle, Sara's blossoming feelings for Doug (before her escapade in the shower she fit the mold of a "last girl" quite nicely), Rob's quest to avenge his sister's death, etc.  Tommy is a fun kid and Trish makes for a good final target for Jason. 

Ted White is absolutely fantastic as Jason.  While Jason in Parts II and III took his time before striking (which  I'm not opposed to; I think both of those movies work by setting a tone early and then springing the violence late), Jason in The Final Chapter is a furious walking death machine.  The kills in this film are especially brutal and work to convey the anger that Jason is working with.  He's relentless. 

The final chase creates a feeling of hopelessness.  Rob seems to be our only hope for stopping Jason; Jason dispatches him as if he were a small child.  The final showdown between Jason and the Jarvis kids is one of the most climatic moments in the entire series.

____

In conclusion, both are great films, but I give the nod to The Final Chapter.
stain
Lifeguard

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:29:14 PM »

Love part 1 but part 4 is my favorite. The Final Chapter ties everything I love about the series together in one film. It's also, in my opinion, the last really good F13 film. I like the ones that followed but none of them compare to 1-4.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: