Camp Blood :: The Films :: Photo & Video Gallery :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Store

December 18, 2017, 01:35:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in the Chat Room every Friday night @ 9PM EST! - Chat is not working in firefox or chrome. Must use IE aka Microsoft Edge for the time being

Home   Help Rules Arcade Search CHAT Donations Login Register  

Random Quote: "I've seen enough horror movies to know any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly."
Welcome Guests!
By viewing this site as a guest you are missing out on member only forums and other features. Registeration is free, so SIGN UP now and remove this annoying message!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUpon Topic: F13 Giveaway Game VII: Camp Blood & F13 Community  (Read 5065 times)
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »

Captn_Dread
New Blood

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 05:30:26 PM »

$14.95
HorrorFan13
Resident Filmmaker
Counselor

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 02:22:03 AM »

Jameslofton
Camp Cook

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 03:14:12 AM »

Two F13 sites coming together for a contest? 10 years ago would've been unheard of...today I am not surprised.

edit: I forgot to guess. I'll say $15.26

As I was typing this I realize I'm ranting and none of this is meant as a dig towards either F13 site. I like both of them.

Forums in general are in a steep decline. Social media has taken over the internet and forums are one of its casualties. There's not a single forum that hasn't been severely impacted by this and many forums have shut down, including successful ones that simply saw the writing on the wall. That internet ash heap of history that contains newsgroups, chat rooms, etc. is about to have forums added to the pile.

As someone who loves forums(and also run one myself), this saddens me. The whole social media culture and how peoples lives literally revolve around it mystifies me. It's also not a passing fad and is here to stay. While the internet has been mainstream for 20 years, the net had never had such an impact on our culture until Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

In a couple years, no forums will exist. I know some will disagree and say they'll soldier on but the interest just isn't there anymore to sustain individual communities. People want to be a part of something bigger and the internet is evolving into something resembling the Borg. It's going to be one giant community under corporate umbrellas. All of your social media accounts will be linked together and there's no room(or time) for various forums.

For the sake of this discussion let's say a new F13 movie comes out in a couple years. Anyone interested in the film will discuss it on social media, it'll be hashtagged to trend opening weekend, people will "Like" the film's FB page, say they love it or hate it on FB/Twitter, post a pic of themselves going to see it on Instagram, and talking about it on a movie/horror forum will never even cross their minds.

I know forums are trying to find ways to boost activity, with contests or other promotional ideas, even ironically using social media in an attempt to spread the word.

As the Borg line goes.....resistance is futile.

What were once thriving virtual cities are now ghost towns.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:16:10 AM by Jameslofton » Logged
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »

I think a lot of people don't even know forums exist. Facebook groups suck. I hate them, you can never find anything in them.
Jameslofton
Camp Cook

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »

I think a lot of people don't even know forums exist.
Yeah and of those who do know they exist and those who don't, 99.9% don't give a fuck. The extreme minority of net users who use forums still are those who have used them for years and dislike social media. Even those people will eventually give up on them as they are ghost towns and no chance of forums becoming like the days of old.

Still existing forums need to focus more on their current user base(however small) and stop trying to pull in new users from social media. It doesn't work. I know...I've tried it myself. I can post a link to a thread on my site discussing news on my site's twitter page and instead of those people joining the forum, they will simply comment(or like) the tweet itself.

Its easier to just 'like' something or type 'oh that's cool' instead of joining a different site and writing out paragraphs. Like I said, people no longer have the time to participate in individual communities anymore. All of their needs are satisfied through social media and news feeds.

I predicted the demise of forums several years before it actually happened. Once the cell phone craze started and took over peoples lives, I knew forums could not survive that. The average forum user years ago would come home from work, get on their computer, log into their favorite forums, and post for a couple hours or so.

That's not how the average person uses the internet anymore. They are now logged in continuously through their phones 24/7 with various apps and spend 99% of their time on social media, texting their friends, getting their news through various feeds, streaming music through their spotify app, or watching shows or clips through youtube, amazon, hulu, etc.

Forums do not fit into that equation and never will.

Forums are in critical condition with no chance of survival. As a lover of forums, I just hope that all my favorite forums have been properly archived so years from now if I feel like taking a trip down memory lane, I can read the old discussions and remember the good old days before everything had evolved.
Captn_Dread
New Blood

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »

$9.76
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »

Captn_Dread
New Blood

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 10:21:22 PM »

Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »

I gotta go with ....

$13.13 lol
hesvor
Head Counselor

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 02:25:44 PM »

$15.27
Monkey
Victim

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 09:26:44 PM »

I'm in the process of getting my house ready to rent and busy packing/fixing the place.  So, I've counted the money in case I fuck up and pack/move it.
Got a tally of the final amount/$$$. 

One thing I didn't mention is that if somebody hits the exact amount, I close the contest and announce the winners immediately.  Any guess after that point is not valid.  Didn't do it last contest (didn't know the amount), but I will this time.  Nobody hit it yet.  Keep guessing.

Trivial shit (stop reading here):
I could go on and on about forums.  The owner of my (home forum?) just upgraded the F13community to include blogs and I will be posting a comic strip featuring Freddy, Mike, & Jason.  Just trying to reinvent ourselves and add more content.  I wouldn't call forums dead yet, you can still buy newspapers and magazines.  I'm here because I have a soft spot for F13 forums; it's interesting to see a whole different group post on similar subjects.  I started on the the original F13 board (Brenna & Blake) back in 2004; the reincarnation in early 2015 was DOA.  This forum seemed fun and friendly.  Also your 'arcade' feature kicks ass.  It was fun destroying the records... and realizing I'm totally outclassed in some games.  SwanKong is not human.  Kat is a cool chick, and your chat features some colorful characters.  We're pretty PC where I'm from, but you guys let loose like crazy in chat.  Fucking love it when people are inappropriate and talk shit.  Anyways, fuck facebook.  I can't find any true horror fans on there, only places like this.  I'm off my soapbox.  Just want to say that I hope this place is around longer than the 2-year shelf life G-fresh (JamesLofton... Bills receiver?) gave it above.  I like being an outsider here, only a couple people know who I am.  Keep this bitch going.  Okay, I'm getting drunk now.  Later!  Grin
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »

Trivial shit (stop reading here):
I could go on and on about forums.  The owner of my (home forum?) just upgraded the F13community to include blogs and I will be posting a comic strip featuring Freddy, Mike, & Jason.  Just trying to reinvent ourselves and add more content.  I wouldn't call forums dead yet, you can still buy newspapers and magazines.  I'm here because I have a soft spot for F13 forums; it's interesting to see a whole different group post on similar subjects.  I started on the the original F13 board (Brenna & Blake) back in 2004; the reincarnation in early 2015 was DOA.  This forum seemed fun and friendly.  Also your 'arcade' feature kicks ass.  It was fun destroying the records... and realizing I'm totally outclassed in some games.  SwanKong is not human.  Kat is a cool chick, and your chat features some colorful characters.  We're pretty PC where I'm from, but you guys let loose like crazy in chat.  Fucking love it when people are inappropriate and talk shit.  Anyways, fuck facebook.  I can't find any true horror fans on there, only places like this.  I'm off my soapbox.  Just want to say that I hope this place is around longer than the 2-year shelf life G-fresh (JamesLofton... Bills receiver?) gave it above.  I like being an outsider here, only a couple people know who I am.  Keep this bitch going.  Okay, I'm getting drunk now.  Later!  Grin

Haha! We are some colorful characters! I don't think chat would have "died" had I not been gone for the last year going through my divorce, and pregnancy and all of that. But I hope it will eventually make a come back!

You said only a handful knew who you were...were you by any chance a mod on another F13th forum back in the day?
Kat
Webmistress
Head Counselor

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »

aurllcooljay
Camp Cook

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »

$20.89
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: